Autumn is a magical season. Famously marked by a kaleidoscope of warm colors, crisp air, hot drinks, and cozy evenings. With a bit of effort, you can bring a touch of that magic to your outdoor space, even if you don’t have a colorful tree in sight. In this article, we'll take a deep dive into the top autumn trends for 2023 and show you how to infuse your outdoor space with the spirit of the season, creating an inviting and cozy environment that's perfect for enjoying the crisp mornings and cool nights. Let’s dive in.
Fall-Friendly Outdoor Furniture: Cozy Seating for Cool Evenings
For much of the US, this past summer was exceptionally warm. As autumn brings a refreshing chill to the air, you’ll thank yourself for creating a cozy seating area to enjoy it in.
To achieve the perfect balance of comfort and style, consider investing in seating options like deep, cushioned patio sofas and lounge chairs adorned with plush throw blankets and oversized pillows.
When choosing fabrics, opt for weather-resistant materials that can withstand the occasional drizzle or dewy morning. Durable and soft textiles like outdoor-rated faux suede or all-weather wicker are excellent choices. Also, don't forget to include a rustic coffee table or side tables for setting down warm cups of cocoa or cider.
Creating a Welcoming Autumn Entryway
Crafting a welcoming autumn entryway sets the tone for your entire outdoor setup.
But what does that mean exactly?
Start with the essentials: a charming fall-themed wreath on your front door. Keep it minimalistic if that’s your style with a grapevine wreath. Or use that as a base to thread in seasonal elements like colorful leaves, faux foliage, miniature pumpkins, and faux berries.
Next, work on your pathway. There’s nothing cozier than a warmly lit walkway.
You can line solar-powered lantern-style outdoor lighting fixtures along your path, creating a warm and inviting glow in the evening. Or use fake battery-powered candles in ceramic holders along your porch.
Finally, add some charming decor.
In this season, natural materials can make all the difference. Try using wooden crates or logs to create rustic plant stands, add displays of uncarved pumpkins (they’ll last a little longer than their carved counterparts), or create display areas for potted plants and other fall flowers.
When filling in the details, let yourself get creative. You can incorporate small, rustic touches like vintage watering cans filled with faux foliage or add in a cozy bench draped with plaid blankets and decorative throw pillows. Add as much or as little as you’d like, and enjoy the cozy and inviting atmosphere you worked so hard for.
Warm and Inviting: Outdoor Lighting Ideas for Fall Nights
As the autumn sunset wanes, outdoor lighting becomes the star of your space. The main thing to avoid is cold or white light. Opt instead for a cozy/warm yellow, amber, or orange-tinted light source. Here are some ideas for you:
- Try classic lantern-style wall sconces with amber or frosted glass to emit a soft, welcoming glow.
- Hang string lights or fairy lights along porch railings or overhead beams.
- Opt for floor lanterns or hurricane-style candle holders, placed strategically to safely illuminate the surroundings.
- Add flameless LED candles inside glass lanterns or mason jars to create a safe and flickering light.
- Incorporate pendant lights or chandeliers above your seating area.
By mixing and matching these different lighting options, you'll create a layered and inviting atmosphere that's perfect for enjoying fall evenings outdoors.
Autumn DIY projects: crafts and decorations for your outdoor space
Embracing the spirit of autumn in your outdoor space is done best with a bit of a personal touch. That’s where DIY comes in.
Get creative with DIY projects that capture the essence of the season, for example:
- Craft your own fall-themed wreath using materials like pinecones, acorns, and colorful faux leaves, arranging them into a welcoming display for your front door.
- Create charming rustic lanterns by placing candles inside mason jars, wrapping them with twine, and adding dried leaves or cinnamon sticks for a fragrant touch.
- For a more involved DIY project, you can try making scarecrows from old clothes and straw. Place one in your garden or seating area to add a whimsical and seasonal touch.
Don't overlook the natural decorations that can be found right in your yard, such as fallen branches, colorful leaves, and pinecones. Incorporate these elements into your outdoor decor by arranging them in baskets, filling empty vases, or scattering them on tables for a simple yet effective way to embrace the beauty of autumn.
Maintaining Your Autumn Paradise: Care and Storage Tips
As the autumn season unfolds, taking proper care of your decor and knowing how to store it is essential to ensure its longevity and continued beauty throughout this season and the ones to come.
Some decorations, like pumpkins and gourds, require care to make them last all season. For uncarved pumpkins:
- Keep them elevated/off the floor to keep pests away.
- Make sure you wash and dry them at the beginning of the season.
- Spray the exterior with WD40, or soak them in a 10 to 1 water-to-vinegar ratio for 20-30 minutes to prevent and kill bacteria.
- Continue to dust them throughout October as they stay on display.
- Regularly inspect them for weak/rotting spots.
- If you spot a rotting pumpkin, remove it from the display so it doesn’t spoil the rest.
For indoor items like wreaths, faux foliage, and delicate ornaments, they’ll last for years to come with proper storage. Invest in durable storage containers or bins to protect your items from dust, moisture, and pests. Consider using acid-free tissue paper to wrap fragile decorations, preserving their integrity without risk of seeping.
When storing wreaths, it’s best to hang them on hangers or use specialized wreath storage containers to prevent them from getting smashed, broken, or just losing their shape.
To ensure your decorations stay clean and pretty while in use, the best practice is to periodically inspect and dust them as needed throughout the autumn season. That way, they’re sure to stay crisp, clean, and ready to use season after season.
Closing Thoughts: Transforming Your Outdoor Space into an Autumn Paradise
With these expert tips and creative ideas, you will transform your outdoor space into a cozy, welcoming, and stylish autumn paradise. Embrace the beauty of the season, and make the most of your outdoor space this fall by bringing the magic of autumn right to your doorstep.